Thursday, August 18, 2005

Welcome back, your dreams were your ticket out...

It's been 30 years since I've been in school.
I stepped into my psych class and I could swear
I heard Arnold Horshacks' laugh. There behind the
teachers' podium was Mr. Kotter....ok..it
wasn't the real Gabe Kaplan, but a reasonable
facsimile....rumpled suit jacket, brown corduroy
pants and the hairstyle that few white men can
pull off...THE AFRO!

This was not the college experience I'd pictured
in my head. I imagined the amphitheater from
The Paper Chase and a professor who looked and
sounded more like John Houseman and fellow students
who sat around on the grass with books open, debating
Freud and Plato while sipping steaming cups
of very strong coffee...

But you get what you pay for.

City College is not an Ivy League school and
Gabe Kaplan is not John Houseman and my fellow
students are cluttered around the doorway to
class debating Brittany and Christina, and I, alas,
am not 18 anymore...but you best believe I
will give those kids a run for their money...
I will be the modern day Freddie "boom boom"
Washington...and when they say "Bring It"...
I'll say "It's Been Brought"

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home